Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle

"Artists of all disciplines must be willing to go into the dark, let go control, be surprised."
Madeleine L'Engle died Thursday, age 88. She was an author of the quality that made me want more.


She died in a nursing home. I hope she was surrounded by family. I hope they stood with her through her last breath. Even if not, I think she walked boldly into the dark, and I hope she was surprised. I think she probably liked surprises.

She wrote 67 books and plays. My goal has been to read them all. I've read 24 so far.

She is now in "Deepest communion with God..... on the other side of silence"