Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On Books


I have been enjoying an absolute smorgasbord of books since I joined Paperback Swap!http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

I've been a member for over a year now, and have received more books than I can count, ALL books that I really wanted in my library.





Some of them are hardback books that even look good on the livingroom shelves.

Here's how it works. When you join, you list 10 books that you have but don't want anymore. They have to be in good condition with no stains or missing pages or covers, but they can be dog eared a bit, lovingly used, written in, signed with a former owner's name. You will get 2 free credits just for listing them. Two credits will get you two books, no cost to you. Then, each time someone requests a book you listed, you can choose to send it to them. You pay the postage and get a credit when they receive the book. You use your credits to order the books that you want and pay no shipping on them. I have been in a position that I couldn't send a book at the time it was requested and that is no problem. You just click the "I cannot send this book" button!
You can't lose. One mild disadvantage has risen recently because the Post Office won't let you mail anything heavier than 13 ounces from your own mailbox. But anything smaller than that you can mail right at your own mail box.

They have a really great tutorial at the link I posted that gives you all the info you'd need to understand the program.

The Bad News
"At present, we are a US-only club.PBS members must be able to receive mail at an address served by USPS.The PaperBackSwap system uses Media Mail postal rates provided by the USPS.Media Mail rates are good for: all 50 US statesUS territories and commonwealths (American Samoa, Guam and the Virgin Islands; Washington, D.C., the Northern Mariana Islands and Puerto Rico),APO/FPO addressesIf you live in any of these areas, you can belong to PBS. We've had requests for international membership from all around the world.
Eventually, we hope to expand.We have had a LOT of requests from Canada! We have been working on shipping issues regarding the Canadian postal system. Until we work these out, we will not be able to trade across borders with our system. http://www.paperbackswap.com/help/search.php?terms=overseas+membership (Source)



I have loved to read from the day I learned how to read.







And I remember my mother, with Alzheimer's Disease and Macular Degeneration, still reading with a huge magnifying glass over her book.

May it so be with me, that I would never lose the love of reading no matter the loss that comes to me in other areas as I age.