Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not a bird.....

A few evenings ago, Crystal and I were in the backyard just as it was getting dark. I looked up at the sky, and circling high above the house was a bat. I LOVE bats! Birds are beautiful and sing sweetly, but a good crowd of bats living on your property will keep it almost mosquito free!

When we lived in Brush Valley, Pennsylvania, there were colonies of bats up in the towering pines that had started as Christmas tree seedlings on Pappy's Christmas Tree Farm.
One bat family lived in a tiny crevass between the stone walled house and the soffit. They were up against stone and metal there so they never got in the house, but they thrived in that tiny gap. They would sort of ooze out every evening, swooping low before heading off into the tall trees. They were beautiful. And I never encountered a mosquito in our yard while we lived there.

So, there we were watching this circling bat for several minutes - long enough that I had time to tell him how beautiful he was and how welcome he was at our mosquito haven. I even named him. He is (of course) Bartholemew. After I named him, he flew away. But within 5 minutes there were two of them circling high over our house. He brought her to see the new digs! I hope so. I haven't seen them since then, but my hope is that they've taken up housekeeping here. I am always thrilled when a wild thing moves into my area of husbandry. The wild garlic, the Queen Anne's Lace last year, blackberries, chickory, henbit, motherwort, witch hazel, chickweed, the list goes on and on. Every walk in my wild woods brings to sight another friend, another gift. I am so blessed!

How's THAT for a smiling face?