Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Old and New

It's raining and snowing, and not a day to be outside. But on the way home from town, a youthful Beech caught my eye and beckoned. I said yes, and went out to meet it in the rain. We took each other's pictures but I will never see the picture of me. That's ok, I have my picture - glowing creamy yellow leaves that look like new spring blooms and feel like old parchment - last year's glory still clinging to this new spring. I took a picture then, of the Forsythia that is covered in new spring blooms. They stand side by side, one like a faded photograph or a shadow of gold. I find that I prefer the beech.