Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Monday, December 28, 2009




Buster showed up in our neighborhood in late November. At first he'd come to the back door now and then, and beg. We'd feed him there. One day he walked right in and had to go right back out, and I cried and cried. Not because I wanted him, though I sorta did, but because I couldn't make it all better for him and he clearly misses a home and family. I KNEW we couldn't add a cat to our 3. But finally on December 2nd, Buster became an indoor cat. It was going to freeze. BOY did he EAT! He ate without even chewing the food, just sucked it in, and he ate as much at one meal as Tucker does and he's a huge collie mix! LOL! On December 4th I posted him on Craig's List. No response came from that so we made our home his home.
Well, Buster isn't Buster anymore!
He was not using the litter box, preferring the basement floor, and he was long enough to reach up, stretch out his neck, and take things off the counter and the table! It just wasn't working out. And his eyes were looking so bad, I began to wonder if he had something really serious. I decided to take him to the shelter where they could check him for a chip and maybe for illness, though I knew if we left him there they'd put him down. I had posted him on Craig's List, with no response, but hadn't yet checked with the Humane Shelter because I knew how they quickly put down any animal that isn't claimed in a short period of time. But I felt an urgency that we needed to do something now. They didn't find a chip, and the next step was to hand him over to them - but I couldn't do it. Well, ok, I bawled. LOL! Larry said we could take him home again, and they could call us if anyone called about him. That was great but I still had that feeling that it was urgent to DO something. So, I asked again if anyone at all had asked for an orange cat and the gal we were talking to pulled out a notebook. She looked through the whole notebook, over a month of lost pet entries. No orange male declawed cat. Then - the last page. Written almost 2 months ago. She said that was so long ago that it couldn't be him. But she read through it anyway. She said, "HM. Let me look at him. Yes, there's that strange orange spot on his nose! Oh wow! There's the little wart on his toe! We've got a match!"
Buster is actually Jinx!
Jinx belongs to a young couple about 10 miles away from us, in a housing development in town. They lost him November 7th, and looked on Craig's list for awhile, but gave up before he had come to us, and before I had posted him.
Jinx is 12, has only 1 kidney and has heart disease for which he was being given medication. They believed he would surely have died by now without the meds. The owner told us how they talked about him at Christmas dinner, about how that was his favorite food and how he would have loved it. So I said they'd have to have another Christmas now, for him! (Though he DID get more than his share of our roast beast too! LOL!)
He's finally home.
Oh yes, the reason he got along so well here with 3 cats he didn't even know; they have 6 cats! All rescues. So now BusterJinx has been rescued twice.
The coolest things seem to happen here at the Adams' house! But this might be one of the best.