Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Enough

This is the year.

I don't make New Year's Resolutions, but this year one found me, and just sat at my door whining and scratching, so finally I opened the door and brought it in.

I noticed the long isles of clothing clogging the stores, in every color and each article mimicking the "styles of this year". Not "my style", but cookie cutter, everyone's wearing THIS style. Back at home, I revisited my own closet. As my hands slid the hangers back I kept thinking "These colors are very good for me. This casual mix and match style is very good for me. Why would I need to find a "jacket" for business when I am not a business person, or a dressy party outfit when I don't like formal occasions." In my closet and my drawers, there are enough colors and styles that suit me.

Watching the ongoing, "This week in new makeup colors" scrolling across my Facebook screen, I realized there is one pink that's stellar on me and everything else is not so much. So, I have that one pink in a small, "easy to tuck in my purse" tube. Why would I need more? What other makeup do I wear? Anything? No. So why buy just because it's new?

What hobbies, pastimes, passions do I long to feed?

Bible Study - tons of resources available online, more than enough for years of study.

Exercise -I have enough Sansone videos to open a library of my own.

Favorite authors - have been my weak spot. I get hooked on one - lately Elizabeth Goudge - and try to own every book written by that author.

Just after the first of the year I started trying to accumulate every book she wrote. Today a couple of her non fiction books arrived through Interlibrary Loan. Eh. Kind of dry. Not entertaining. BUT! SHE wrote them! Eh. Yes, but I prefer her fiction. At the moment of that revelation, I began to think "Enough".

So, here I am at the door, greeting this persistant little word and committing to a year of cohabiting.

Enough.