Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Do you get hand problems from so much computer use?


OW!


Have you ever heard this song?



Up in the air, Junior Birdmen



Up in the air, upside-down!



Up in the air, Junior Birdmen



Keep your nose up off the ground!

And when you hear the great announcement



That your wings are made of tin-



Well, then you know, Junior Birdmen



It's time to send your box tops in!




I learned that when when I was a kid. Imagine my surprise when a therapist working on my painful hand (caused by the computer mouse) told me to do this:



It's the Junior Birdman sign! And it works. It stretches the tendons that tighten up in the hand with a lot of computer use. I do it all the time. Maybe it will help you.


Junior Birdman was a gesture used on the Captain Video Children's TVshow, which was on in the late 50s and early 60s.


I guess it's supposed to represent an aviator's helmet and goggles. It's to be accompanied by the song:
Up in the air, Junior Birdman

Up in the air, Upside Down!

Up in the air, Junior Birdman

Keep your nose to the ground.
It goes on to talk about boxtops and decoder rings... The gesture is achieved by putting the thumb and forefinger of each hand together tomake an "O", and leaving the remaining fingers straight. Keeping the"remaining fingers" parallel to each other, rotate your fingertips back towards your ears, and lift your elbows up so that your"remaining fingers" are pointing down the sides of your face and the"O"s are in front of your eyes.