Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Blessing!

What a Christmas gift we received today!5:30 am, pitch dark, phone shrieking, I can't FIND the phone, ........and then the answering machine picked up, with a message no mom EVER wants to hear.

(Sobbing) "Mom I hit the Spring Lake bridge! I wrecked the car really bad!"I picked up the phone, and found out, after she calmed down, she was fine. Crystal had driven the crippled Explorer to the Holiday inn parking lot and she was fine!

Thank God, thank God!

The road had not been plowed. She was going to her ambulance job up north and HAD to try to get there. But the deep wet snow caught her wheel in front, and there wasn't anything she could do. The lane was half packed icy snow and half deep snow and she just slid right into the safety rail - just at the point where the drawbridhe begins. Crystal destroyed the driver's side front wheel and tire, took a good chunk out of the front fender and the bumper, and destroyed the driver's side lights. There's also alignment damage.

Car repair cost estimate: $1600
Priceless: cell phone, and safe daughter


She's fine now, bit of a headache. She's telling her friends, "The Spring Lake bridge ran across the road in front of me today and I crashed into it." And one responded with "So, why did the bridge cross the road?"
LOL! We are SO THANKFUL!