Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year, new me?

Not really. I know myself. I don't keep New Year resolutions.

But I did decide to renew some commitments.
Daily Bible study and prayer.
Looking at all other activities through prayer.
Recommitment to eating plan and excercise.
Recommitment to doing well, whatever I am doing (not perfect, just well)
Loving my family through everything I do.
Speaking gently. Thinking first.
Loving myself. (Don't tell me I should put this first! I do even when I don't want to! I just didn't want you to know that!)

So, here it is, only 5 days later. Yesterday I messed up, and didn't even realise it until the end of the day!
I've been so well focused on these commitments and following through, one day at a time. But, yesterday, Inner Brat just took over. She fussed and fretted over every chore, and I had to drag her through each task. Therefore, things just didn't get done. I (she) hated the house, the weather, the clothes I was wearing, what I had to eat,everything I saw seemed to come the Inner Brat's eyes. At the end of the day, after snacking too much, because she wasn't satisfied, along with playing on the computer too much, and every good thing too little, I crawled defeated into bed and said, "God, what happened??? I didn't mean for the day to go like this!"

I ran down the list of things I had commited to do, sure I had started the day right.
Made the bed. check.
Excercised. Check.
Good breakfast. check.
Plenty of water to drink. Check.
Laundry started. Check.
Dishwasher started. Check.
............................................................................................................. Wait!

There sat my Bible unopened, and the only prayer I uttered that day was "WHAT HAPPENED?" at the end of the day! I had skipped what I consider the most important act of the day, and hadn't even realized it.