Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Been a long time between posts

I am not in any kind of struggle, just got to where I didn't care.

It was pretty bad, yesterday morning - the house, the undone daily things - I mean I didn't even care if I showered or brushed my teeth! Yet I wasn't sad or depressed just unmotivated.

My dd Carrie had directed me toward a book and the author dealt with it like an unhealthy thought - she literally "put it off" by just doing something. Anything. So, I was listening to her book on CD and when she got to that suggestion, I was walking past the foyer closet. It is so tiny, doesn't even hold all our coats (maybe 3x3 feet) and it was packed with winter and summer coats, umbrellas (OK. I counted - 10 umbrellas not counting the ones in each of the 4 vehicles and some garage strays! LOL!) and "stuff" packed a couple of feet high on the floor. So, I stopped right there, since she was on the "just do something" subject, and cleaned the easiest thing I could reach - the coats. It looked so nice, took just a minute or two, and she was still talking so I did the top rack, and sorted out all dh's summer ball caps; put them and the summer coats in the summer storage bin in the basement. Coming back up the steps, there I was almost eye level with the floor - or the stuff that hid the floor. So I sat down (easy job) and sorted. DH had 4 pairs of boots there, one brand new that he didn't wear last year because he couldn't find them. Both girls had a couple pair shoved in there that were a mucky mess from their work, so (on a roll!) I cleaned them up and set them back in neatly. And of course, MY boots were there - 2 pair, exactly alike. I got them 2 years ago and they were so nice and reasonably priced that I bought 2 pair - and I haven't seen them for over a year. I've been looking for new boots for a couple months - all because I was unmotivated - really, I just didn't care. That all took less than 1/2 hour, so I moved ahead to the piano, and just fell into a pattern, cleaning and dusting until the livingroom was done, and I was ME again. I moved right in to the exercise for the day and followed the calendar plan. So, I see that I need a pattern or routine....a plan, and then I need a shove now and then to activate the plan! I guess I need to end this by saying, friends please kick me in the butt every now and then and get me moving! LOL! Unless I post that I'm sick or injured, assume I'm off the plan and back in my sloth mode! HM. I need to find a sloth smilie......... I even have a new plan to add, for the holiday season. I haven't been checking weight or inches, because I was afraid that they weren't good - ummmm.....ACTUALLY, because I didn't care about doing it. Well, I'm weighing and measuring - and reporting. Since there is so much food that beckons this time of year, my goal for December is just to lose, even a tiny bit.