Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm so glad it isn't Spring yet. What a nasty way to start such a happy season!
Yesterday water started creeping in under the basement walls. It had rained all day, but by evening the rain was gone. This morning everything outside was fairly dry, but in the dip between our house and the neighbor's house (on our property) is a small lake! It's getting bigger by the hour. And all day long today, water has been slipping under the cement block walls and creeping across the floor, all around the basement. It is as if our water table has risen to above the floor line. It's just enough water to ruin things, but I was wise enough after the last flood (10 years ago!) to put everything we stored up on elevated shelves, or in Rubbermaid tubs. So the water is soaking the random cardboard box (easily removed), the towels and blankets we've put down, and is running and hiding under the dog kennel, the basement appliances and the shelves. Keeps us running up and down stairs to try stemming the tide. Good exercise, but I am concerned about mold forming.
Count-ry road, count-ry atmosphere and high water. We are calling the result our "Robtuckey" swimmin' hole and elygant indoor sauna. Might jest git me some ole stumps an build me a ark. Ahm a rowin'!