Welcome to A Garden Variety Blog!

Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty


I hope you, whomever you are,
will sit down "with" me for tea,
or flavored coffee or spiced cider,
and have a garden variety chat.
Now and then.
I am not so consistant about blogging
as I ought to be.
I *am* consistant about
drinking hot beverage
and the coffee/tea is always on the hob.

Come on in!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday In A Strange Church

I went to a friend's church today, and sat on a bench way back against the wall because I wasn't perky yet. They sang songs that used beautiful ancient tunes. BUT, they had made up new words to the tunes

(WHY? I knew the ancient words and they were also beautiful!)

I didn't have a hymnal and couldn't sing along - so I ignored the new words and actually sang along just above a whisper with the "real" words, which I knew. LOL!
All the while we were singing, I kept hearing a rattling and clicking. It was so fast I thought someone had a wobbly fan running.
Now - just to clarify things - Crystal recently got me to start texting. It takes me about 15 seconds per every 3 letters! LOL! I'm slow - I sound like a 1 finger typist, because on the tiny "keyboard" that's what I am.
So to get on with the story - I looked to my left and there was a young "adult" (I use that word loosely) texting, using both thumbs only and going so fast I could barely see her thumbs! I am PRETTY sure she wasn't texting God, and so I was quite irritated with her. I gave her the "librarian" look, but she wasn't looking at me, so it went over her head.